In: Health & Fitness6 Jul 2013
A Yellow Fever Certificate is not just essential, but compulsory in some countries. You need to get one before heading off on any kind of adventurous travel. You’ll be asked for your Yellow Fever Certificate at some airports and a few land border crossings. Don’t take any risks. Get your Yellow Fever Injection before you head off round the world. I’m saying this because it’s better to have it in advance than suddenly decide you want to fly to Namibia in two weeks and you won’t have time to get a quick one. Of course if you’re not a nomad or a spontaneous traveller then you may not need one if you already know the countries you are going to and whether they are at risk or not.
Before setting off on your journeys, it’s important to check what injections you need. Pop to see your local travel doctor and they will assist you. Tell them where you are planning to go. In terms of getting the Yellow Fever injection here are the important things to note:
1. Countries will ask to see evidence of it at borders, both land and air. It’s better to be prepared for it and have your certificate ready. Why risk getting refused entry to a country?
2. You almost always have to pay for it. I cannot remember the cost of my Yellow Fever Vaccination, though it was somewhere in the region of $60 AU Dollars (in 2010).
3. Trust exactly what your Travel Doctor has said and go with it. Don’t think twice about paying for it – you need to pay for these things and staying healthy on your travels is vital to you. So head to the travel doctor, take their advice and stick with it.
4. Ensure your Yellow Certificate is valid. It needs to have a stamp and a doctor’s signature on it.
5. You can only get your Yellow Fever Certificate from a recognised Yellow Fever Vaccine Centre.
6. Carry it with you everywhere you go – I say this again from self experience as I’m a tad nomadic – I might arrive in a country that you don’t need the Vaccine, then suddenly take the urge to visit the neighbouring one.
7. It will be valid for 10 years.
This is a very serious subject and therefore it’s important to check with your travel doctor and take his advice on it.
ALWAYS check with and ask your local travel doctor what medication and injections you need for certain countries. NEVER trust websites or fellow travellers. Basically just get the jabs to be safe.
As a traveller don’t take the risk of visiting Africa and SOuth America etc. without your Yellow Fever Certificate.
What exactly is Yellow Fever? – It’s a dangerous disease that you don’t want with symptoms including vomiting and muscle pain.
How do you get it? Like most diseases it is from an insect bite from a mosquito. Stay safe and protected.
What Countries Are Affected? – According to the doctors I have spoken to, most of Africa and parts of South America are affected by Yellow Fever. And let’s be honest those are two of the best continents to travel in, so you’ll need your Yellow Fever Certificate.
What price is a Yellow Fever Vaccination? It depends where you are but imagine that it should be between $40 and $90 depending on where you are. Safe travels!